Monday, June 8, 2009

Gaming Gone WIIILD.


I wasn't allowed to get video games.
I was never interested in computer games.
I was never given a gameboy...
A PSP....
A DS...

I have never been interested in
"gaming" until my brother got a DS Lite last year from my parents. After that, I realized how addicting these games can be. Constantly struggling to achieve a better score can make a "gamer" sit on the couch for more than five hours a day! Amazingly, more and more of these games are being created to keep kids on couches alone instead of playing outside with friends and family. When my brother is playing on his DS Lite, it is hard for me to even talk to him for he cannot form proper sentenses to answer me with. Proving that as techology improves, these games gbecome more addicting and more children are playing video games to the point where they forget their mother's names.
I believe why these games are so extremely attention-grasping is because of the way they create a utopian world for all of us. Perfect bodies, fast cars...the list goes on and on. Naturally, everyone wants to be part of this perfect world so we get more immersed in these video games. Hand-held games have also been developed so kids, can even enjoy playing even when they're away from computer and television screens.
In the end, I feel that video games give children filled with the stress from school a good outlet to relieve the stress, but there should be limits to when they should stop playing. Perhaps parents should give their children time limits for playing games and have them interact with their family members more, video games wouldn't be such a large problem in society today.

Enough is enough when you'd rather ignore family memebers for Mario Cart.

No comments: